Thursday, June 10, 2010

Since I left my house.....

Iyi aksamlar (eeyach-sham-lar - good evening) everyone!  It's about 12-1 in the morning over here as I'm posting, but it should be around 6 or 7 your time.  Since my Uncle's internet was decidedly NOT working, I had to wait until I got to Turkey to post anything, plus I was busy helping everyone pack ;-).  I kept a little post-it note with stuff I wanted to write about, though, and so I'm working from that and my memories!

The trip down to my Uncle's house was quite lovely... Melis and I both slept most of the way, we stopped for breakfast at MacDonalds (They have amazing sausage burritos... I never knew this!!), and goofed off in the Russel Stover store in Andersonville, SC... (we played ninja, and... well... yeah... but it was worth it!)  We did not feel BAD about goofing off in said Russel Stover store because our party (names have been left out of the matter ;-) bought at least 50 dollars worth of chocolate, of not more, mostly for use as rewards in my Aunt's government -sponsored awareness workshops across the globe.

While at my Aunt's house, I discovered THE most amazing pasta ever (at least I thought so until I had this amazing Turkish pasta...) that was served with yogurt infused with garlic.  I had no idea it was going to be as good as it was!  Apparently (as I saw when I got over to Turkey), Turks eat yogurt the way we eat butter: with EVERYTHING.    The pasta was simply shell noodles, tomato paste, ground beef and some seasonings, and the yogurt was just plain yogurt with chunks (not minced - chunky) of garlic in it.  As far as the yogurt goes, all you do is chop and put in the garlic, and then the flavor leeches out of the garlic and into the yogurt.  It's not very strong, and the chunks of garlic don't actually taste like anything except for texture.  At any rate, the whole ensemble was delicious... and just an Americanized taste of real Turkish food.

While helping my cousin Melis pack, we ran across a brochure put together by high school students entitled "101 Ways to Stay Alive" (no joke).  One of them was "Don't drive if you can walk."  I stopped and said, "Almost everybody can walk, hello!"  We both cracked up.  Melis also then made the quote of the day by saying, "Well, that would severely cut down on traffic!"

I also learned that day that chain links can be turned into wire shelf hooks!  You simply take pliers and turn the top half at a 90 degree angle to the bottom half counterclockwise (so it makes kind of an s, but not all the way).  You then have hooks of all different metals (you can buy chain in about every colour), and that method is significantly cheaper than paying for weak, ugly wire shelf hangers.

One final note before I go to bed and continue the rest of this summary tomorrow night (maybe, if we're not out too late): You MUST watch The Lakehouse!  It is super twisty though (you don't know whether the guy lives or dies), and Melis and I were both dripping liberally by the end of the movie.  Even though all their technicalities as to the time difference are not worked out, it's a very good story.  So please watch it! (And tell me if you dripped too).   ;-)  Love you all!
       ~Bekah

9 comments:

Nanna said...

Bx,
what do you mean by "the lakehouse"? I'm confusled... I miss you a whole lot... it's kinda quiet... I looooooove uuuu!!!!!

HEE-HEE-HEE!!!!!!

Nanna said...

To Emily... as far as the mushrooms go there really wasn't anything special... all you do is slice the mushrooms, and saute them w/ the cover off and "DON'T CROWD THE MUSHROOMS"!!!!
(Julie and Julia) OH!! and don't forget- LOTS OF BUTTER!!!!!!
anyway, thats how you cook mushrooms... Julia's way!

give my love and enduring weirdness to Linnea...
~Nanna

Nanna said...

Bx,
i just happened to look down at the Harry Potter quotes and happenedb to see this-
Avada Kedavra!- Bellatrix-
the first thought that entered my mind was"how profound,that it would be worthy of a quote"
and if you think about it, who in the world is going to go around spouting"Avada Kedavra!-Bellatrix Lestrange"! i mean, how stupid would that be?
Nanna

Nanna said...

Bx!!! Mrs. VP sent this out to us!! A letter from Jed!! Here it is:

Hey Mrs. VP and choir,



Just wanted to email you an update of how its going! It's been very busy so far and its going to be for the next couple weeks because we have final exams soon.... Oh dear. Well, two weeks ago I got back from my first tour with the choir! It was about a week long and we sang about 10 concerts. No stress, huh? We traveled all around NJ, NY, and DE on "Gus," our tour bus! :D I had my birthday on tour which was a.... hmmm.... unique experience... The rest of the kids decorated my seat and got a cake for me... I felt special. Two weeks from now I am performing with the Concert Choir at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia. We are doing Mahler's 3rd Symphony with another choir from the Philly area. I hope everything is going well with you and please, feel free to email me! Our email access is pretty limited, so I probably won't be able to write back right away.



Hope to see you this summer! I'll be back the end of June.

--Jed

my email: musingman101@earthlink.net

Anonymous said...

Hey Bx!! haven't read this in a while and i'm really glad you're have such a great time!! sounds like you've had a BOATLOAD of fun tryin out new foods, sight-seeing, and just forging renewed relationships with your relatives =)=) btw, i LOVE the quote thing down at the bottom =) i've put several quotes in my quote journal haha that thing will forever haunt me... but in a good way =) now i can't stop looking for quotes 'worthy' enough to be in the journal =)=) Anyways, hope to hear more of your travels and hear of new marvels and ways to eat American food with a Turkish spin ;-) haha anyways, love you and miss you (though I wouldn't have seen you anyways at this time...) and if you have time to email that'd be great too! =) =) Have a great time!! Love ya
Margrette

Sarah said...

Hi Bx!!
It sounds like you are having an amazing time!!! Take tons and tons of pictures so that we all can see....I love reading your blog, I check it almost daily! Anywho have fun and be safe!
Love you,
Sarah

Nanna said...

Am i correct in thinking that the sarah is Dobby?

Nanna said...

Bx,
Here is a link to the Farynyk's family blog for their trip to England.

http://farynykfamily.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

NO I'm not DOBBY!!! Keep up, Nanna! We've had this conversation like 69983274 times! :D